If you are thinking about adopting a child in Alabama, it’s important to have a basic understanding of the steps involved. Adopting a child is one of the most important processes you will go through in life, and knowing what to expect can take away some of the anxiety that can arise.
Before any steps can be taken toward adopting a child, you must make sure that you qualify. In addition to being ready, willing and able to care for a child, Alabama law has certain requirements that must be met before an individual or couple can be allowed to legally adopt, including:
- You must be older than 19-years-old.
- If you are married, you must be married for at least three years.
- You (or your spouse) must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must have proper housing and space for a child.
- You must be healthy enough to care for a child.
- You must go through a thorough background check.
If you meet all of these requirements, you can go on to the procedural steps involved: